Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fido

Fido is our aptly named cat who thinks he's a dog.  He comes when you call for him.

Descended from a proud line of panther/house cats he's one of the biggest cats I've ever met.  He's been slowly shrinking over the past few years but still weighs a good fifteen pounds.  In his prime he was closer to nineteen.  Forever dressed in his black tuxedo, Fido always looks sophisticated and debonair.

Fido will be sixteen this year, and having burned through about seven of his lives early on, he takes it easy in his old age.  Any sunny spot will do for a nap; although Lou's bed is by far the best.  He willingly takes handouts and is always looking for a hot meal.  He's less inclined to go out and kill a meal, but he gladly accepts the extra goodies Aiko brings home. 

Fido is big and strong, I've seen him bring home mice, birds, large squirrels, and he often hunted our old pond for goslings.  In short, Fido is fearless.

But Fido is also loving and patient.  When Lou wants someone to sleep with her, Fido is always up for the job.

Some close enough to be family members came out the farm on Easter, and the girls were deathly afraid of Fido.  This is something I had a hard time understanding.  This cat they ran from is the same one who let me dress him in baby clothes and cart him around in a carriage.  He willingly let me snuggle him in the blankets of my dolls' crib and read stories to him.  He's not too happy about it, but he's more than patient when Lou tries to carry him around.  He wants nothing more than to be loved, fed, and carried like a baby. 

I'm all for having a healthy, respectful fear of animals.  We bring them into our homes and treat them like family, but they are, after all, animals and can be unpredictable.  When it comes to instinct and intellect, instinct always wins.  But a cat that purrs as you approach is most likely not a threat.  If he follows you around trying to rub against you, you can be pretty sure that he wants some love, not a fight. 

Sibling calls me a "collector," referring to my constantly growing collection of children and animals.  I know that not everyone is like me, and it's not realistic for all families to have a pet.  But try as I might, I still don't get it.  I don't understand how you could come home to a furless house every day, to an empty house with no one waiting for a pet and a hug.  When I lived in the dorms I spent a good chunk of time at the local humane society, trying to fill the void left by the animal-lessness of the dorms.  I, for one, cannot live without my four (and two) legged friends.  And I certainly can't imagine raising Lou without them.

As an only child, if it weren't for the animals, Lou would be under the impression that the world revolves entirely around her.  She still kind of thinks this, but it's better than it could be.  But around here she's not the only one that needs to be taken care of, not the only one who needs my attention.  And she can help me take care of them, giving her a big sister mentality without the siblings.  Lou has learned compassion, empathy, and responsibility from the animals.  And when I'm too busy to dig in the dirt with her, I know that she's not digging alone as one ore more of the dogs is always hanging out with her.

I know you're not all collectors, but everyone can benefit from some animal time.  There's something to learn from domesticated animals: there's nothing better than being around the people you love.  Which is all my animals and I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment